Ensuring that your furnace is operating at peak efficiency can help you avoid problems when you need heat the most. Annual inspections are recommended, and furnace service in Smokey Point can save you money by addressing small issues before they become big problems. There are some signs to look for that signal the need for immediate attention from a certified technician. They are:
- Noises coming from the furnace that are out of the ordinary. Banging may be due to dirty burners while howling or whistling can signify restricted flow of the fuel supply.
- While we expect that our energy bills will be a little higher in the winter months, a bill that is significantly more than you anticipate may be due to a faulty furnace. Worn or grimy parts decrease efficiency.
- The smell of dust coming from the furnace is normal. However, a burning rubber, smoke or oil odor is not standard. These aromas could indicate a safety issue so call a pro right away for an inspection.
- Carbon monoxide can be lethal. Since it is odorless and colorless, it can be almost impossible to detect. Having a carbon monoxide detector is critical to your safety. If you do not have one, you can check the flame in your gas furnace. A yellow flame implies a hazardous situation. If your detector is triggered, your heat exchanger may be cracked, and this requires immediate intervention.
- Some rooms in your home are colder than others.
- You have to dust in your home more than usual. Air quality is essential to the health of your home’s occupants. Excessively dusty or dry air should be addressed by a professional.
- No heat at all.