Regular maintenance of your hot water heater ensures that it will last for years and that you will have hot water when you need it most (showering, washing clothes or dishes). A licensed professional can take care of periodic hot water tank service in Edmonds, but you can quickly perform a few tasks yourself to save money on water heating costs.
- Test the temperature/pressure/release or TPR valve located on the side or top of the tank. You may need a new one if water doesn’t stop flowing after you let go.
- Inspect the anode rod. If it is covered in calcium or smaller than ½ inch, replace it.
- Partially drain water from the tank and flush the rest out, removing accumulated sediment from the bottom of the appliance.
- Modify the tank temperature. Set the dial to 120°. Reducing the temperature by 10°can save you as much as 5% in energy costs.
- Add foam pipe insulation to the hot and cold water pipes and an insulating blanket to cover the tank so that heat is not leached out into the air.
Of course, if you do not feel comfortable or confident about taking care of these steps yourself, that’s ok. Not everyone is a handyman and your HVAC service pro will be happy to take care of them for you.
For any questions about hot water heater care, if you suspect you need a new hot water heater or to schedule hot water tank service in Edmonds, call the licensed technicians at Complete Mechanical at (206) 337-2360. Our experienced team can help you keep hot water flowing whenever it is needed with efficient and cost-effective maintenance service. Reach out to us today!