It’s true! You can lower your energy bills with a programmable thermostat! By setting the temperature of your home lower in winter or higher in summer when everyone is gone, you can save as much as $180.00/year in heating and cooling costs (US Environmental Protection Agency). And it’s so easy.
Wouldn’t it be great to know that while your home sits empty (during work hours, etc.), that energy isn’t being wasted conditioning the air? Now consider that you can program that same thermostat to assure that your home is at peak comfort by the time you return. Most programmable thermostats are manufactured with pre-set points:
- Programmable thermostats have pre-programmed set points designed to maximize energy saving. Homeowners should keep the temperature of their home set to these set points when no one is at home, at night, and bedtime.
- You can adjust the temperature of your home without erasing the pre-programmed set points.
- Become familiar with the hold features of your programmable thermostat. Do not use hold/permanent/vacation features unless you will be away from home for an extended period of time, like vacation.
- Attempting to quickly heat or cool your home by setting your programmable thermostat to extremely low or high temperatures won’t work and will only waste energy and your money.
- The easiest maintenance task you can perform on your programmable thermostat is to check and/or replace the batteries.